Gone is the time when you would have to plug old wire cables into your computer just to access the internet. The wireless technology has now taken the computer and telecommunications industry, and nearly every device is going “wireless.” The electronics industry is now one of the most vibrant sectors thanks to the advent of technology that has made the manufacture of wireless devices possible. The TENS units have also not been left behind as there are numerous best wireless tens units in the market.
These wireless units are effective, convenient, and durable and help to relieve chronic pain faster. Finding a quality tens unit can be a daunting task than you think as there are many similar products on the market. Therefore, we have also included a buying guide that will aid you in picking the best product for your use.
Best Overall: Compex Wireless 2.0 Muscle Stimulator with TENS unit
Rated #1 in our review, the Compex Wireless TENS unit is the most convenient and reliable tens unit on the market. It comes with 10 pain management program that helps you relieve chronic pain. These ten programs are 4 for strength, 2 for warmup, 3 for recovery, and 1 TEN. These programs also feature ten levels of progression that will enable you to build endurance and resistance against sore muscles.
This device is one of the most reliable of the reviewed units, and you’ll enjoy increasing your explosive strength in a few days. Whether you want to build strength, resistance, or explosive strength, there are programs for each, and they all have a fast-twitch. Besides, the device also has an effective muscle recovery programs that allow fast transfer of oxygen to the muscles while also facilitating quick removal of waste products such as lactic acid. This reduces fatigue that is common among sportspersons.
Besides, the unit is also easy to use and comes with a rechargeable battery station. The accompanying color display also makes the unit intuitive and appealing to use. Also if you are the regular traveler, then you’ll love carrying it to different stations as its portable.
This Compex wireless device is all you need to get the results you need without hassles. It comes with more power, strength as well as endurance that you’ll enjoy incorporating to your training program. Besides, the in-built programs and levels of progression make it handy for both beginner and expert users. Moreover, it is cordless, making it perfect for both home and office use.
- Intuitive and easy to use the LCD screen display
- Includes 10 programs for different functions, i.e., warmup, strength, and recovery
- Five levels of progression make it handy for both beginners and experts
- Wireless features increase your mobility
- Brand: Compex
- Product Dimensions: 4.3*2.8*0.8 inches
- Product Weight: 1 pound
Best Value: IReliev Wireless TENS + EMS unit
Well, if you are looking for a convenient and wearable TENS unit, then it’s ideal you get this machine. It’s one of the safest and non-invasive devices that enables you to bid goodbye to the pain pills. The iReliev device comes with eight modes that give you varying levels of comfort and experience. It’s also super portable and comes with a 1.22’ screen size that makes it possible to carry it anywhere. Whether you are at home, office, or streets, you’ll enjoy quick pain relief. Besides, the LCD screen features backlight technology that enables you to use the display at day or night.
The 14 programs that the device supports are: 7 for pain relief, 6 for muscles, and 1 for arthritis. The device is also simple-to-use and comes with manual instructions on its uses. The device also gives you the ability to set the treatments in 5 minutes to 60 minutes’ increments in each session. You can also isolate the wireless pod settings or set them to operate with each other. This enables you to offer targeted and controlled treatments that will address your particular muscle needs. It’s also useful for some conditions such as arthritis when you start using this device, you’ll appreciate its unbelievable power, especially in pain relief and optimizing & strengthening muscle recovery.
- Two therapies in 1 wireless system
- Easy to set up and use
- Can run up to four modes with each having its unique settings
- The LCD screen with backlight
- Brand: iReliev
Best Budget: WiTouch Pro Wireless Bluetooth TENS Unit
WiTouch Pro Wireless Bluetooth TENS unit is one of the top-rated devices on the market. It’s incredibly portable and is useful in back pain management. The device also supports a Bluetooth WiTouch PRO app on your smartphone and use it to control the device. This eliminates the need for you to control the device manually. Besides, it also comes with four treatment programs not mentioning the 15 intensity levels that make the device versatile for everyone to use.
You’ll be impressed by the wearable technology, power capability, and the coverage that this device offers. Besides, you can wear it all day as it offers rapid pain relief via its patented waveforms. The device also comes with reusable pad gels that keep it in position to your back.
- Wearable with Bluetooth control
- 15 levels of intensity make it versatile
- Multiple electrotherapy programs for different users
- HSA and FSA eligible
- Brand: WiTouch/li>
Best Mid-Range: Core Products Wireless TENS Unit
Core Products’ wireless TENS unit is one of the most portable and effective TENS units on the market. This device comes with a convenient wireless design that enables it to reach most parts of your body. Its rechargeable receivers and snap style electrodes send impulses to your brain to block pain signals. Besides its FDA-cleared and is effective in the soothing of temporary pain on the muscles of your back, arms and other parts of your body which results from work or sports injuries.
Besides, it comes with rechargeable lithium batteries that save you from the extra costs of buying AAA batteries when you want to use the device. Moreover, the batteries have a charging kit so that you’ll charge the batteries conveniently when you need them.
Overall, you’ll love this unit as its intensity levels, and secondary pulse options also work well. It is user-friendly, ensuring you don’t spend much time on the manual. The price is also reasonable, and you won’t have to pay hundreds of dollars to get this unit home.
- Reusable and long-lasting body electrodes
- Convenient wireless design that can be used on many parts of the body
- Rechargeable lithium batteries enable you to go wireless
- Easy to set up
- Brand: Core Products
- Product Dimensions: 8*7*1 inches
Best Design: MedZone Wireless Tens Unit Rechargeable
Rated #5 in our review, this MedZone device is perfect for those looking for a budget TENS unit. It is effective in dealing with muscle pains, soreness, and body aches. You only need to place the personal massager on the affected part, and you’ll enjoy fast and greater body relief. What’s more, you can adjust the device to produce different massages types and strength that you desire. Pain relief is only a few steps away from you, and the good news is you can control the device wirelessly using a smartphone app.
Besides, wires are a nuisance, and if you love walking around while using a TENS unit, then this device is perfect for your body. Just download the free app on your phone, link it to your smartphone, and enjoy quick pain relief. Besides, it comes with rechargeable cells, and you won’t have to replace dead batteries but only recharge them after you exhaust their power. It is efficient, effective and works in alleviating several body conditions.
Besides, it’s versatile as it offers you multiple treatment options and six variable massage modes to use. These massage modes include muscle cupping, kneading, and others. Each of these modes offers a variable strength massage to different parts of your body. Moreover, it’s cordless and comes with easy-to-use diagrams that enable you to get the right setting for your condition. It’s the perfect gift for parents, friends or family on their special day.
- Can be controlled using a Bluetooth Phone app
- Offers multiple treatment options
- Six variable massage modes for muscle cupping, kneading and more
- Has an internal timer for setting the amount of time you want the device to work for
- Easy to use as it doesn’t require a remote & has no wires
- Brand: MedZone
- Product Dimensions: 9* 5.5* 2.2 inches
- Product Weight: 14.1 ounces
Rooftree Wireless TENS Unit
If you’re looking for a TENS unit that you’ll easily carry it in your pocket, then this device is ideal for you. It promotes blood circulation in the body which helps you to release muscle tension and relieve pain in your neck. What’s more, it comes with five massage modes, which offer you different experiences and comfort. Whether you want a mild or thorough massage, you’ll get it provided you set the right device settings. Besides, you’ll enjoy quick massage anywhere you need as the device offers you unparalleled portability.
Besides, the blend of new and old technology in the device makes it handy to all users. The device adopts Acupoint pain relief and simulation of manual massages that offer quick relief to fatigue and muscle pains. Besides the accompanying instruction manual enables you to easily use the device on different body parts. Just press the buttons, and your journey into a healthier life will begin.
Besides, you’ll enjoy extended hours of use with its reliable battery that lasts for up to 15 days on 2 or 3 charges. Besides, it only takes 1 hour to achieve a full charge. It’s the best unit for use after working, training, traveling, or doing housework. The electrode pad is also reusable for 50-60 times, and you’ll enjoy the convenience and comfort that this personal masseuse offers. Overall, it’s a great functional device and is also safe as it comes with a 15-minute auto-off feature that protects your skin from heat damage.
- Offers five massage modes and ten intensities
- Low-frequency massage technology for fast muscle pain and fatigue relief
- Easy to use as you only need to press buttons to use the device
- Long battery life as a single charge can take you up to 8 days
- Brand: Rooftree
Easy@Home EHE015 Wireless TENS Unit
If you love wireless TENS unit with no remote controls, then this device is your perfect match. With the wireless aspects, you’ll enjoy using and carrying the device freely with unparalleled mobility. This makes it suitable for home, office, and travel use. The device also comes with rechargeable lithium-ion batteries that save you from the hassle of buying replacement batteries. These batteries take a short time to charge and offer you long-lasting power that enables you to use the device without power limits. The device is also user-friendly and comes with six automated massage program options as well as 20 intensity levels that offer you different levels of comfort and massage experiences.
More so, the device is easy to use and comes with only two operating buttons; one for power on/off and the other one for adjusting the massage intensity. Overall, this device is one of the best wireless TENS units, and you can attribute this to its all-natural treatment method, where it activates endorphins, which are the body’s natural pain regulators. By stimulating the body to produce more endorphins and release them, you’ll enjoy faster pain relief without the dreaded side effects of using pain relief drugs.
The device is also rechargeable via a USB cable, and it helps stimulate your muscles. By stimulating your muscles, the device also aids the blood circulation in your body, especially if you are traveling or you sit for a long time without moving. Customize the device and enjoy quicker pain relief and other benefits from this compact unit.
- Offers natural and high effective pain relief with muscle stimulation
- Wireless design makes it easy& convenient to carry and use the device
- High-quality rechargeable lithium-ion batteries provide the device with long-lasting power
- Six automated massage programs and 20 intensity levels
- Brand: Easy@home
Icy Hot Smart Relief TENS Unit Therapy
Though it’s the last unit in our review, you shouldn’t underestimate the power and quality of this device from Icy Hot. It is portable, battery-powered, user-friendly, and offers you fast relief from pain. It works by blocking pain signals in your nerve, which makes it safer than most of the over counter drugs that may have side effects on your body. Besides, Icy Hot is famous for its myriad of pain-relieving solutions such as creams, lotions, and gels. This unit relieves pain associated with conditions such as arthritis, bruises, cramps, tendonitis, and muscle sprains. It is one of the most powerful devices that delivers a soothing warmth on different areas of your body to soothe and relax the pain away.
If a member of your family is in pain or sick because of varying weather conditions, then you don’t have to run to the pharmacy as you can trust this device. It’s more like a well-stocked medicine cabinet that offers quick relief when you need it most. Whether you want chronic pain relief for your back, joints, or shoulders, you’ll always trust this device from Icy Hot. More so, its effectiveness in dealing with lower back pain makes it one of the best therapy devices for everyday use.
- Comes with 63 intensity levels
- Included reusable electrode pad for relieving chronic pain
- Easy to wear and use
- Pain-relieving solutions for conditions such as arthritis
- Brand: Icy Hot
- Product Dimensions: 6.6* 2.4* 6.4 inches
What is a wireless TENS unit?
Wireless TENS unit devices look similar to electrical back massages only that they’re wireless. TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) are devices that use electrical currents to relieve pain and in this case, back pain. With the advent of wireless technology, it’s now possible to transport and carry these devices anywhere without attracting any attention. They operate using electrical currents that stimulate parts of your body- This produces endorphins in your brain which aids in to relieve pain in the affected area.
Benefits of Wireless TENS vs. Wired TENS
The only difference between the two devices is that wired TENS devices are not wireless. The wireless unit runs on batteries which gives you the convenience of storing it in your pocket or purse- You can then remove it from your pocket and use it anywhere you need for quicker pain relief. Your lower back could be aching from sitting on the computer all day, your legs could be hurting and cramping from standing for long periods, or even maybe you work outside, and you regularly experience pain from your routine job. The solution to these is wearing a wireless unit all day long as no one will notice it, plus you won’t require a wall receptacle to plug the device to.
Features to look for when choosing a wireless TENS Unit
There are many factors you should consider when buying a wireless TENS unit. They include:
- Number of Therapy Modes and ProgramsThis is the top factor to consider while choosing a tens wireless unit. The lower-prices models have fewer massage modes you need. However, the most expensive ones have more complex features, which makes them unideal for those looking for a simple unit.Normally, a majority of the tens units in the market offer different therapy modes programs such as hand pressure, cupping, tapping, fist, and acupuncture. However, if the unit has no pre-programmed modes, then you’ll need an extra device to manipulate the width and pulse rate for such an experience. Regardless, most tens units come with pre-programmed modes, and therefore you’ll not need to spend money on buying extra machines.
- Number of channelsMost tens units have dual channels that allow you to use different intensities in two different parts of your body. However, if you want to target more than 2 body areas, then you’ll need a device with 4 channels.The number of channels in a unit depends on the pads. Usually, each pad has 2 channels. Dual-channel has 2 pads per channel, which totals to 4. In the same way, a quad-channel means that you can use 8 pads simultaneously.
- Do they have Intensity Levels?Like pre-programmed modes, tens of units have multiple intensity levels. Make sure you choose the model that has the closest intensity range as some find their devices to as having too low or too high intensities. Besides, having varying ranges of intensity levels enables you to customize the device as per your requirements. Also, when checking the good intensity range, you should consider the power of the unit.
- Is there a Timer Option?If you like to use the device for a predetermined period, then you’ll find this feature useful. Timer lengths vary depending on brands with some manufacturers also including auto shut-off features- the feature makes the device switch off automatically when after a certain time is reached. This feature can be handy for some, but others may find it frustrating, especially if they are using the device for a long time.
- Battery Life of the DeviceBefore purchasing a tens unit, ensure you know the type of batteries it uses. If they are standard ones, then it’s easy to replace them. Some units also use a lot of power and its therefore important to have a stock of batteries. The alternative to a standard battery is a rechargeable battery. Rechargeable batteries are more convenient if you intend to use the device daily. Most of the current modern tens unit has rechargeable batteries.
- What is the ideal size?If the size is an essential factor for you i.e., if you intend to take it to tours, office, or meetings, then you should consider the size. There are different sizes of the device in the market, so it’s upon you to choose one that satisfies your requirements. Some units are also small and discreet that they fit easily into your handbag.
- Is the Screen Appropriate?Though some people find it less important, having a screen with good clarity and readability is very important. Some come with buttons controls while others come with touch screen options- choose the one you are comfortable with. This is because it’s too frustrating to have a device that you cannot operate.
- Does it Have Interferential?Interferential therapy is only available in some tens units. The principle of functioning of this therapy is that 2 different electric pulse levels are relayed to the affected area to confuse/interrupt the pain signals being sent to the brain. This offers you quick pain relief.
- Does the Device also have EMS?EMS stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation. To be precise, TENS units provide pain relief by blocking the pain signals. However, the EMS functions by contracting the muscles to offer the same relief. Devices with EMS are best for sports enthusiasts as they relieve pain without reducing the strength levels.
- Is the Manufacturer Providing Any Accessories?Before you purchase a device, always check out if it comes with extra accessories i.e., a car charger or additional pads. Though it seems a lesser consideration, buying the accessories separately will result in additional accosts. So having them with the device makes the unit more affordable.
Why is Going Wireless a Good Choice?
Wired TENS models can be costly at times. Just like cheap headphones, wires can get damaged, and replacing them can be quite expensive for the user. For this reason, wireless tens units are the most preferred models as they are less likely to develop shorts and save you a lot of money in the long end when compared to wired models.
Benefits of having a Wireless Tens Unit
Before purchasing a muscle stimulator, you should familiarize yourself with its pros and cons. Below are the main benefits that wireless tens units offer:
- No CablesWireless tens units are very convenient as they don’t require you to attach cables to electrodes and then plug them into the machine. Imagine how irritating it is when you remove your unit from the cupboard only to find its wires in disarray- not a fun situation, right? Well, by getting yourself a wireless tens unit, you’ll save yourself from this mess.
- They are discreetMany wireless tens units can be worn even underneath your clothes, and therefore people won’t notice when you are using them. On the other hand, wired devices are impossible to hide, and people will easily notice the wires on your body. However, when you get yourself a wireless unit, you’ll not see any wires coming from your pocket, and you’ll be comfortable all day. But before you start using this treatment, you should first consult a medical professional so that he’ll ascertain whether it’s suitable for you.
- Easy AdjustmentIf you have a TENS unit with remote control, then you’ll realize how easy it is to make adjustments.
- Highly PortableAnother great advantage of wireless tens units is that they’re highly mobile. These units have fewer accessories, and you can take them wherever you want to visit.
- Pain ReliefSelf-massage tools do not cure the source of the pain but aid in the relief/reduction. Wireless units are most effective for acute pain that has been around for less than three months. When it comes to severe injury heals, the machine can grant you temporary pain relief, but that won’t stop the pain from returning.
- Can substitute some medsMore often, these machines can replace over counter pain medications. This is a significant advantage as some pain meds have their own side effects. This, of course, must be approved by a medical professional.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do TENS work to relieve pain?
A: TENS units suppresses/ relieves pain by suppressing the transmission of pain in nerves (Gate Control Theory) and increasing the discharge of the body’s endorphins, which lowers the sensitivity to pain in the central nervous system of your body (Opiate Release Theory).
Q: Can I use a wireless tens unit if I am pregnant?
A: It is best to consult a doctor before you start using it. Each pregnancy is different, and therefore for some, it can improve your condition. On the other hand, it can also worsen the condition.
Therefore, if you’re also planning to get pregnant, then you should talk to your doctor before using the TENS unit. Also, avoid placing the electrodes right above your uterus and using it during the first and second trimester of your pregnancy.
Q: Can I use a Wireless TENS unit for Pain Relief during Labor?
A: Wireless TENS units are considered safe and effective during labor. To enjoy more benefits, experts recommend that you should not use it continuously during contractions. It’s also essential to control the frequency and pulse strength at your convenience. If you use it during the earlier labor stages, then you can continue using it to advanced labor stages if your doctor deems it safe.
Q: Is a TENS Unit Safe to Use?
A: Regularly, a TENS unit is entirely safe to use regularly. However, if you misuse it, then this device can be harmful. So, whether it’s safe or not depends on how you use it.
Q: How to Operate a wireless tens unit?
A: Most manufacturers provide instruction on the use of the device, with the first being placing the electrode parts on the affected area. You should then turn the intensity up until you feel a buzzing or tingling sensation. After this, increase the intensity until you feel strong, but make sure it’s within a comfortable range. These units usually come with different programs such as tingling, pulsing verses, and constant verses. You can choose among these depending on your comfortability.
Q: What is the maximum time to use a TENS unit?
A: If you are new to these devices, then I’ll advise you to start with a 10-15-minute program. Once you are familiar with the device, you can slowly increase it for 30 minutes up to 2 hours. You can use it several times on a day when you need it.
Q: Are the Wireless TENS units Effective?
A: Yes, these devices are popular as they offer relief for several conditions. However, you’ll have to pick the right one basing on your needs.
Q: Does a TENS unit helps in Building muscle?
A: Usually, a TENS unit that is set on high-intensity levels may contract your muscles. However, it’s not suitable for strengthening or toning your muscles.
Q: Is TENS Unit Useful to Relieve Dental Pain that is Caused by Oral Surgery?
A: Whether electrical stimulation is effective in relieving post-surgical jaw pain is still unknown. There are less studies in this field that can provide an accurate answer. So it’s better to first discuss it with your dentist or oral surgeon before using the device.
Q: Are there any Disadvantages of Wireless TENS Unit?
A: A wireless TENS unit is specially manufactured to be small and compact. A large TENS unit (that has wires) features many programs and functionalities than compact tens unit. Also, the wireless unit does not have many electrodes like a wired one.
Moreover, wireless tens units are powered by batteries- which means they have limited power. As its batteries run out, you’ll have to keep a backup ready. So wireless devices are also not effective for dealing with chronic pain.
We are convinced that after reading our buying guide of the best TENS unit, you’ll make the right decision on the model to buy. You should also know that the price doesn’t equate to quality, and therefore the pricier models are quality than the cheaper priced ones. Instead, you should consider how much you’ll likely use the unit and purchase one that will suit your particular needs.
Also, remember to start by using the device at the lowest intensity setting, then increase gradually until you feel comfortable. Never place the electrodes at sensitive areas of your body and use the unit at short term intervals. help you to relieve pain from muscle sprain, arthritis, and more. Also, remember if you’re on medication, you should consult a medical professional before you start using the device.